As you might imagine, marriage ceremonies are conducted in all manner of locations from private homes through to public parks and large reception venues. Below is an example of some locations where I have conducted ceremonies.

Adelaide Town Hall
Al-Ru Farm - One Tree Hill
Auchendarroch - Mt Barker
Ayers House - Adelaide
Barristers Block - Woodside
Beaches - many locations!
Belair County Club - Belair
Botanic Gardens - Adelaide - Crafers
Botanic Park
Caloote Landing
Camelot Castle - Basket Range
Carrick Hill - Springfield
Queen Adelaide Club - Adelaide

Cummins House - Novar Gardens
Seppelt Grand Cru Estate - Springton
Glen Ewin Estate - Houghton
Glenelg Golf Club - Glenelg
Golding Wines - Lobethal
Grange Golf Club - Grange
Howard Vineyards - Nairne
Longview Winery - Macclesfield
Mt Lofty House - Crafers
Mt Osmond Golf Club - Mt Osmond
Paxton Vineyards - McLaren Vale
Port Eliot - various locations

Red Piles - McLaren Vale
Private homes
Serafinos - McLaren Vale
Stangate House - Aldgate
Stevens Estate, Williamstown 
The Grand - Glenelg
The Palais - Semaphore
Thorn Park by the Vines- Sevenhill
Waterfall Gully
Westminster School
Windy Point - Belair




"The ABCs of Apostilles. How to ensure that your public documents will be recognised abroad."  Hague Convention on Private International Law


The law in most countries requires that a signature on a document be witnessed or other procedures applied before the document can be used for legal purposes or in a court of law. Solicitors, justices of the peace, and notaries public normally perform these functions in Australia, but the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) may also be authorised to do so.

DFAT provides notarial services, or the legalisation of documents, to Australians, or people planning to use documents in Australia, through its State/Territory offices in Australia and its diplomatic missions overseas.

  • Legalising document
  • Notarial services
  • Authentications and apostilles
  • Binding documents
  • Affidavits
  • Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage
  • Certifying copies of original documents
  • Witnessing signatures
  • Mailing documents to us
  • Fees




PO Box 171


SA 5065


To Whom it May Concern

[Full Name] .................. and [Full Name] ...................... have today lodged a Notice of Intended Marriage Form with me.

They intend to be married at [location].......... on [date]...........

A non-refundable deposit of $100 has been received

Please contact me should you require further information.


[Celebrant Signature] ………………………………

[Date] ……………………………

[Phone] ……………………………

[Email] ……………………………




The following information has been provided by Val Edyvean, Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in South Australia - 8 June 2010.  Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Office - Office of Consumer and Business Affairs  - 08 882049599  The adoption  by a woman of her husband's surname on marriage is a widely practised custom in Australia. However, there is no legal obligation to do so, and some women continue to use their own surname after marriage. When a woman who has married in Australia decides to take her husband's surname, there is no need to register the change of name. Production of the marriage certificate (see Note) and a statement by the woman that she is now known by her husband's surname is generally accepted as sufficient evidence.

Women who have married overseas will find that this is not adequate for some agencies - for example Passport Australia for a passport, and some Registration and Licensing agencies (change of name or license or car registration). In these cases the woman may be required by those agencies to produce a Change of Name certificate  (see Note), and will therefore need to undertake a formal change of name process with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Office.

Less commonly, a man may decide to adopt his wife's surname on marriage. Similar arrangements apply in that case.  

If both parties decide to adopt a hyphenated or composite name after marriage, both will need to do a formal change of name if they need to prove to authorities that they are both using the altered name. (In such cases, sometimes the groom changes his name before the wedding and then the bride adopts that new name, requiring only one party to do a Change of Name.)

The us of the terms Miss, Ms and Mrs are again social conventions - Miss is generally used by single women, Ms is non-specific and Mrs denotes a married woman, or a woman who has been married. If Mary has been Miss Smith before she married John Bloggs, she can is she wishes start to refer to herself as Mrs Bloggs. You may notice the long-standing convention of referring to a couple as Mr and Mrs John Bloggs (and the woman as Mrs John Bloggs) is fading away, with common usage moving to 'Mary and John Bloggs', or 'Ms M and Mr J Bloggs'. Mary may be referred to as 'Mrs Mary Bloggs'.

Public service usage is to use 'Ms' for women unless they specifically describe themselves as Miss or Mrs - but there may still be cases where as a courtesy a public servant addresses an older woman, known to be married or widowed, as Mrs. If in doubt, we ask their preference. There is no need for anyone to advise any government agency of a change in the preferred style of address, although lots of forms still have a list of options.

Whenever anyone who owns a car and/or has a driver license does a name change, they should contact the Motor Registration and Driver Licensing authorities to advise of the change. In SA this should be done within 14 days. These agencies require proof of the change of name, either in the form of a Change of Name certificate (if a person changes their name via a formal BDM procedure) or with an official  Marriage certificate issued by BDM in the case of a change of name on marriage. The Form 15 certificate provided at the ceremony is not acceptable.

If Mary own real property in her own name, she should also advise the Lands Title Office on changing her name so the title deed can be amended. If Mary wants a new passport in her husband's name, she will need to produce an official certificate along with her application. Again the Form 15 certificate is not acceptable.


ADDITIONAL ADVICE: re a bride changing her name to her married name at Banks, Driving Licence, Centrelink, Passports, other Government departments.

The bride will need to apply to BDM for a certified copy of her marriage certificate.   The forms for this application to Change Name are available at any Post Office.   I suggest not to apply for the certified copy until 14 days after the wedding.   This gives the celebrant time to get her/his paperwork in to BDM and also for BDM to record the marriage.   Once the couple receive this certificate (which they have to pay for) this can be used for any of the alterations in name that is required by the couple.    The certified copy of the marriage looks very much like a Birth Certificate, but it has the registration number on it and the stamp and signature of the Registrar of BDM.

Births Deaths and Marriages wish to advise that as from 1st July, 2012 the fee for a certified copy of a marriage certificate will be:

NORMAL SERVICE            $43.50

PRIORITY SERVICE:          $76.50




A woman who has adopted her husband's name may wish to revert to the use of her maiden surname or to a surname she had from a former marriage id she is divorced or separated, or for other reasons. She does not have to be divorced or even separated to do this.

There is no general requirement for a declaration and registration of change of name. It ought to be sufficient for a woman to produce her birth certificate and/or marriage certificate (s) (see Note), and to state that she is now using her maiden surname or former married surname, as the case may be.  

Ultimately, the Government agency or commercial organisation concerned has the right to determine what evidence it requires of a person's name or change of name in its particular circumstances. That may require to to provide evidence such as your birth certificate (see Note) and marriage certificate (see Note) to the Passports Office, or certified copies to businesses with whom you deal. You should not have to show evidence of divorce or death to support reverting to a previous name, as these are not required conditions.

The Births, Deaths and Marriages registration Office is willing to discuss any problems that arise in reverting to a maiden surname or former married surname.

 NOTE: Most agencies require official certificates issued by the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Office.




It is imperative to have copyright clearance to use other people's work ('literary and artistic endeavours') in your Ceremony. 

I have Copyright Cover to 30th June 2011 for the use of POETRY, READINGS or MUSIC in your Ceremony with access to an online website for Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) members only.




An Interpreter may be anyone who, when required by a Celebrant, is able to interpret between a Celebrant and the Bride or Groom and back to the Celebrant. The Interpreter will be required to complete a Statutory Declaration to the effect that they have conducted the work as a 'faithful interpretation'. 




Welcome to NAATI

 Authorised and certified translators are required for any documents which a Celebrant considers they are unable to read easily.




Brides who are quite late do cause anxiety for everyone! It is strongly advised that a Bride aims to arrive on time, because a Ceremony actually starts some time after the arrival allowing for photographs, and arrangement of bridal party. Celebrants invariably

  • charge late fees, or
  • will leave the location for another commitment if a Bride is later than 15 -20 minutes after the agreed Ceremony starting time. 




You may at times leave documents with me, or send information of a personal nature. I do not retain these but, either delete (eg. emails and attachments) or return to you (eg. copies of birth certificates).